Why Do Certifications Matter?
When it comes to finding a partner to manage your end-of-use technology devices in Sioux Falls or the surrounding South Dakota area, choose wisely. Data security and environmental compliance is vital in today’s high-risk business landscape and there are many vendors who will take your equipment and give you their word…but how do you know they can be trusted?
A recent study from Blancco Technology Group found that 78 percent of drives purchased from eBay and Craigslist contained residual data that could be recovered. 11 percent of the drives also contained company data, such as emails, spreadsheets and customer information.
Luckily, industry standards offer a uniform way to assess the practices of companies and help you identify credible service providers in all areas. Different certifications address data security for hard drive shredding, data wiping and secure handling, environmental standards for proper recycling and disposal, and regulatory or compliance support for verifiable processes and downstream chain of custody trails for audit purposes.
In Sioux Falls, you have a few options when you’re ready to recycle or sell your business computer equipment.
Here’s a breakdown of the electronics recycling and data destruction certifications:
R2 Certification: Using an R2 certified partner demonstrates your commitment to environmentally sustainable business practices, prevention of data security threats, adherence to the highest industry standards possible, and proactive accountability for your technology assets.
- Establishes responsible recycling (“R2”) practices for global electronics recycling and reuse.
- Requires documented environmental, worker health and safety, data security and destruction protocols.
- Annual independent audits to guarantee data security and safe, responsible practices.
- Stringent shipping and material tracking systems, regulations, licensing, and insurance requirements.
e-Stewards Certification: Partnering with a provider certified to the elite e-Stewards standard protects you and your customers from security breaches and environmental catastrophes through strict chain of custody tracking, stringent environmental compliance, and secure management of all technology devices.
- Annual audits by accredited third-party bodies for complete environmental, health, safety and security compliance.
- Stringent guidelines to minimize environmental impact including heavily restricted export and dumping.
- Conformance to the highest global standards including the Basel Convention, stricter than most laws.
- Detailed record keeping of data erasure, destruction and end-to-end security processes.
ISO 14001 Certification: ISO 14001 certified companies go “beyond compliance” to proactively protect the environment, assuring you that all processes performed are continually measured for environmental impacts.
- Requires organizations to create an effective Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Must show commitments toward pollution prevention and continual improvement.
- Establish and maintain procedures to identify significant environmental impacts.
- Ensure all employees are aware of environmental impacts and are adequately trained.
OHSAS 18001 Certification: Utilizing service providers who are certified to OHSAS 18001 guarantees best possible working conditions for better, safer worker performance, proving health and safety is taken seriously.
- Requires clearly defined occupational health and safety management system to identify and control risks.
- Improves performance and customer satisfaction by reducing costly errors.
NAID Membership: Aligning yourself a National Association for Information Destruction (NAID) affiliated company ensures you are working with a recognized information destruction provider, dedicated to security, education and use of the highest ethical standards.
- The only recognized source for security and ethics standards in the information destruction industry.
- Ensures commitment to protecting all data-containing media throughout the entire asset lifecycle.
Microsoft registered refurbisher: When looking to reuse or remarket your equipment, Registered Refurbishers provide the benefits of genuine Microsoft software, helping to protect data security and reducing environmental e-waste.
- Guarantees professional refurbished computers are pre installed with legitimate Microsoft software licenses.
- Submissions of regular reports and audits are required to ensure the validity of each application.
As the only R2 certified and e-Stewards certified IT Asset Disposition (ITAD) provider in all of South Dakota and North Dakota, SEAM proudly holds the highest worldwide certifications for environmental management systems and quality processes. We are regularly audited by third party organizations to ensure our processes are meeting standards like those listed above and continually work with our customers to educate them on how they benefit from using a certified recycler for their IT equipment.
We take security seriously and guarantee equipment is handled in compliance with the many privacy regulations that exist today. Our strict No-Export and No-Landfill policies ensure all electronic devices that enter our facility are recycled, reused or resold without ever being shipped to a landfill or a developing country.
Every one of our standards is in place to provide our clients with the confidence that all of their equipment will be processed to the highest environmental, secure and ethical standards possible.
Get a quote today to see if we’re the right electronics recycling option for you in Sioux Falls.