How to Recycle Light Bulbs in Sioux Falls
Compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) often used for streetlights, floodlights, parking lots, and industrial lighting, can be recycled at SEAM in Sioux Falls. Residents may also recycle their bulbs at the Sioux Falls HHW facility.
Under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), these lamps are classified as hazardous waste and cannot just be thrown in the dumpster. Although the amount of mercury is small, common generators like commercial and industrial businesses, hospitals, schools, universities, state, and local governments must properly recycle them.
The federal universal waste regulations require fluorescent light bulbs be properly managed to prevent environment releases. This includes EPA notifications, container labeling, on-site storage, personnel training, tracking and transportation. No permit or special reporting is required when businesses send lamps to qualified recyclers like SEAM, who comply with federal requirements for recyclable materials.
Guidelines/Tips for Lamp Recycling:
- Before recycling, store fluorescent lamps in closed containers to prevent breakage (i.e. the original box or special containers provided by your recycler).
- Securely close and seal containers with 3-inch PVC tape (do not tape lamps together or use rubber bands).
- Store containers in a dry place.
- Label containers as: “Universal Waste-Lamp(s),” or “Waste Lamp(s),” or “Used Lamp(s).”
- Lamps must be recycled within one year.
- Be sure your recycler is in compliance with federal regulations. You are liable if your recycler improperly disposes of your waste lamps.
- Look for a pick-up service or ask for boxes designed to reduce breakage during transport.
- Inform your employees about the dangers of mercury and make sure they are trained on the Universal Waste Rule requirements.
- Require a “Certificate of Recycling” from your recycler with the total weight of material and confirmation that it was processed in accordance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintain this certificate as verification for the disposal of waste lamps in accordance with the Universal Waste Rule.
SEAM offers safe and compliant light bulb recycling for fluorescent bulbs including long and short tubes, U-bent, compact fluorescent (CFLs), circular fluorescent, HID (Mercury Vapor, Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium), and electrical ballasts in accordance with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Universal Waste Rule (UWR) and Subtitle C hazardous waste regulations. We also provide packaging and instructions for safe handling.
Contact SEAM for a free quote for fluorescent bulb recycling in Sioux Falls or the surrounding area.