Control Through the End
If IT equipment is not controlled, it can easily put you out of business.
From the point of purchase all the way through the end of life recycling or resale, data-bearing assets need to be tightly controlled to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands. A proper IT Asset Management plan should include complete procedures that detail management steps throughout the entire lifecycle, not just during use. If you don’t move quickly after a refresh or upgrade, decommissioned assets will cost you more to dispose of and put you at a higher risk of a data breach.
Here are a few tips to get your IT assets under control:
- Put an explicit end-of-life process in writing with clear instructions what needs to happen with decommissioned computer equipment and technology devices. Letting employees keep their equipment is NOT a safe option.
- Connect the procurement of IT assets with the end-of-life to stay ahead of equipment disposal needs and ensure you’re not sitting on any old devices too long and losing out on resale value.
- All assets should be identified and tracked from procurement through end-of-life. This helps with compliance, efficient processing, proof of data destruction and safe disposal.
- Connect all departments with the same procedures, from purchasing through disposal. A uniform process across the entire company will ensure all groups see the whole picture.
- Enforce your asset management policy and conduct internal audits to ensure all steps are being followed. Just one rogue employee keeping an old piece of equipment as back up can compromise your entire company when it comes to regulatory compliance or data breach.
- Use an R2 certified or e-Stewards certified IT Asset Disposition provider who can offer chain-of-custody electronics recycling with secure, legal disposition, as well as equipment resale in accordance with data security standards to ensure your reusable equipment is properly wiped of all data.
SEAM takes IT Asset Lifecycle Management seriously for our customers. If you are looking to protect your Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Iowa or Nebraska area business, let us help you get your assets under control. Contact us for a free quote to properly plan, securely resell, or safely dispose of your used IT equipment.